Chronojump English Forum
gait platform - Printable Version

+- Chronojump English Forum (http://forum.chronojump.org)
+-- Forum: Other (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Forum: Tests and protocols (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: gait platform (/showthread.php?tid=104)

gait platform - jeffpagaduan - 03-04-2011 03:07 AM

hi!

which is better for a gait analysis platform: 10 meter pcb board or 10 m rods? I want to measure the flight time of two legs using two different contact platforms. I hope you can help me with this. Thanks a lot.

RE: gait platform - aldotuya - 03-08-2011 01:58 AM

(03-04-2011 03:07 AM)jeffpagaduan Wrote:  hi!

which is better for a gait analysis platform: 10 meter pcb board or 10 m rods? I want to measure the flight time of two legs using two different contact platforms. I hope you can help me with this. Thanks a lot.

Hi jeffagaduan,

Sorry for the wait. The results jumping over PCB board or rods were almost the same in our experience. Xavier de Blas is testing at the moment trying to validate PCB as rods are already done. It indicates no preference in that case.
Probably for the gait it's not necessary to invest in PCB boards, as strength is not required as jumping. Also you don't need a big area to measure the gait, around three rods in the direction they're walking for each foot.
In the action you can analyse on leg inside the platform before the other one. Or if you've got two platforms and two chronopics you can take the CT and FT of each leg in the same action.

To be honest I haven't read too much in relation to this materials and gait analysis. I will do it and let you know if I find something useful for your idea.

RE: gait platform - trainer - 04-25-2011 10:33 AM

All that we found on literature was the next, maybe you already know about:

- A comfortable velocity for the gait is around 4.3 km/h. The average contact time is 1.25 sec. (Plas, Viel and Blanc, 1984).
Despite the fact of voluntary variability on gait speed, age or gender, free walk rate is around 80 m/minute. Also the stride length on normal population is around 1.46 – 1.28 meters (depend on legs length) according to Perry, 1992.
The authors consider that must be although 3 metres intervals before and after the data segment on the gait analysis, in order to achieve the speed. So is common around 15 metres walk with 10 meters analysis.

- The basic parameters to analyze are the timing, distances, velocity and cadence of the gait. Normally people use photocells to measure the velocity (V), and indirectly you can extract the stride length (SL) just knowing the cadence. SL = V / Step rate

- The advantage from instrumented walkways is that there is not any apparatus on the subject, who feels free to execute his usual pace. Anyway, other footswitch systems can be an alternative, like insoles, showing from the contact of the heel, metatarsal heads and great toe the contact time detached (knowing the difference between support time and the discharge one).

RE: gait platform - jeffpagaduan - 07-12-2011 08:53 PM

hello!

Thank for you for this. We'll try to rebuild a thicker 10 m platform using rods. The one we've built didn't work.

RE: gait platform - ideal - 02-07-2015 09:55 PM

In Bosco & Komi 1979, "Mechanical Characteristics and Fiber Composition of Human Leg Extensor Muscles" they talk about the observed differences between CMJ and SJ but they do not offer comparative calculations